Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 in Review


1. I Spy Houses quilt, 2. Rosebud Doll Quilt, 3. I Spy Quilts, 4. Flower Patch Quilt, 5. Crow Mahalo, 6. Doll Quilts on a Line, 7. Sun Break Quilt, 8. Baby Bricks 2, 9. Modern Rococo, 10. Baby Boy Book Stack11. Collaboration Doll Quilt 12. Christmas Table Topper

I really can't believe it is already New Year's Eve 2010. This year seems to have zipped by even faster than any before it! Nonetheless I did make time to create all the quilts above, as well as a number of other non-quilt items this year.

Looking at all these works together, I realized that 2010 was the year of giving- all of these items were gifts or for donation. I did enjoy sharing my love of quilts this year, but next year I'm finishing some quilts for myself. But before I get ahead to next year, I want to revisit my goals for this year.

At the beginning of 2010, I set goals for the year, to improve my skills, reduce my stash and finish a number of projects.

Machine quilting skills: I got a walking foot and improved my straight line quilting, but I did not work on free motion quilting. I will definitely tackle that in 2011!

Applique skills: I learned needle-turn applique this year, and tried out fusible, machine and raw-edge techniques. I love applique and want to incorporate more of it into my work!

Stash goals:
  1. I did quilt extensively from my stash, and even started making a visible reduction in it. But then I filled in some gaps, and added some finds... and there's no chance that I'll be able to fit my fat quarter boxes on my fabric shelves. That goal is getting carried over to next year.
  2. I finished a Leaders and Enders quilt top. It did make a huge dent in my scraps and stash. I enjoyed working this way and have a couple of baby quilt tops cut and ready for more Leaders and Enders work.
  3. I did make 12 quilts this year- more if you count all the doll quilts. I have 2 ready to donate, and 2 doll quilts that I donated to an auction. One more donation quilt top is finished... so I am pretty close, but not quite at my goal of 6 donation quilts for the year.
WIPs finished in 2010:
  1. I Spy Houses (started 2009) done 1/10
  2. 2 I Spy donation quilts 1 done 1/10, 1 done 4/10
  3. Flower Patch done 4/10
  4. R's mini quilt done 7/10
  5. Baby quilt: floral log cabin (top done 3/10) done 7/10
  6. Baby quilt: "Sun Break" grey & orange rails (top finished 1/10) done 8/10
  7. Baby quilt: shirt scrap bricks done 7/10
  8. Baby quilt: blue + green book stacks done 9/10
Outstanding WIPs:
  1. Stars & Strings tabletopper (started 2009, WIP) top done 7/10, basted,hand-quilting in progress
  2. Baby quilt: spring strings (top done 3/10), basted 8/10
  3. Donation quilt: houses top done 8/10
  4. Bright Snowballs (started 2009, top done)
  5. Applique Flowers Wall Quilt top done 8/10
  6. Stash Busting Bee International Log Cabin
  7. Indian Summer
  8. Leaders & Enders
  9. Say Cheese Self-Portrait
  10. Seasons Mat for R's preschool
  11. Crumb Blocks
On the design burner (fabric has been pulled or cut, but no sewing has been done):
  1. Baby quilt: boy blocks
  2. Baby quilt: rainbow book stack
  3. Baby quilt: bricks & stones
  4. 2233 Pineapple
  5. Bento Boxes for S
  6. Leopard Roses
  7. Christmas quilts
  8. Donation quilt for A's school auction
I'm really looking forward to 2011, and taking all the positive developments of 2010 further in that direction. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment