Thursday, September 30, 2010

Slow September

I'm sending out 3 quilts for new babies today, which will make some space in my little sewing area for more quilting. I only managed to finish one of these quilts this month. With school starting and our fall schedule getting busier, it has been a slow month as far as sewing goes.

I visited a fortune teller (the coin fed kind who gives your fortune on a little card) on the waterfront earlier this month who shared these sage words with me:

Slow down just a little for you will gain enlightenment.

Enlightenment? Maybe if realizing that measuring my productivity in terms of finishes is frustrating and focusing instead on the rewards of enjoying the process of creating with my hands, seeing beautiful riots of colors come together from disparate patches, and sharing a little warmth and joy through the mail.


Part of what has been going slowly is piecing the biggest quilt top I have ever made- a queen size scrappy rendition of Kaffe Fassett's Diagonal Madness. This was my Leaders and Enders project for this year, and I am absolutely enchanted by all the colors from my scrap bags and ugly piles turning out so beautiful. I've been on a bit of a sewing hiatus for the last week since finishing this, but I'm hoping to break it today by piecing a really fun pieced back for this quilt.

And then I'll have to quilt it. Something tells me that October may be a slow month too... but hopefully it will be more enlightening!



No comments:

Post a Comment