Thursday, March 31, 2011

March Progress

Are we at the end of March already? It's been such a whirlwind... and it's time to check in with The List again.

This month, I've been working on getting my sewing machine fixed and trying out a new-to-me machine. I had big plans to finish, like, 4 quilts this month, which was so unrealistic for me. Between working, and all the family birthday activity this month, I need to realize that my sewing hours are more limited! After I finish sewing on a machine binding tonight, my total for the month will be 2 finished quilts, so that is pretty good!

Finished Quilts of 2011

  1. Christmas Tree Mini Quilts done 1/11
  2. Baby quilt: spring strings (top done 3/10), basted 8/10, done 1/11
  3. Bloom Mini Quilt done 1/11
  4. 3 Quilted Book Covers started and done 1/11
  5. Girly I Spy Quilt done 2/11
  6. Baby Blocks: Blue #1 done 3/11
  7. Garden Path baby quilt done 3/11
2011 WIPs:
This list is the same size as it was last month... it didn't shrink, but it didn't grow either. Nothing else is getting added until some items get taken off!
  1. Stars & Strings tabletopper (started 2009) top done 7/10, basted,hand-quilting in progress *
  2. Houses Donation quilt top done 8/10
  3. Bright Snowballs (started 2009, top done)
  4. Applique Flowers Wall Quilt top done 8/10
  5. Indian Summer top done 12/10
  6. Gypsy Madness Leaders & Enders top done 1/11
  7. Wedding Ring Table Runner top done, quilted 10/10
  8. Amish-ish Mini Quilt top done & basted 2/11
  9. Grey baby quilt top done 2/11
  10. Triumph Star top done 3/11*
  11. Stash Busting Bee International Log Cabin
  12. Say Cheese Self-Portrait
  13. Seasons Mat for R's preschool *
  14. Crumb Blocks-->stars
  15. Pinwheel Quilt
  16. Holy Night
  17. Soup Dragon
  18. Yellow & Orange Log Cabins*
  19. Rainbow String Quilt*
  20. Scrappy Sixteens*
* Quilts I worked on this month

On the design burner (fabric has been pulled or cut, but no sewing has been done):
  1. Bricks & stones baby quilt
  2. Girl blocks baby quilt
  3. 2233 Pineapple
  4. Bento Boxes for S
  5. Leopard Roses
  6. Christmas quilts
  7. Donation quilt for A's school auction
  8. Retro Rail Fence
Quilting
It was a struggle to get my machine to cooperate, but we finally made peace and got some quilting done this month. My walking foot seems to be kaput, so I tried FMQ in the ditch to quilt the Garden Path. I don't know where I got his idea. I thought I read it on a blog, but it turns out not too be there, so it must have been a casualty of blog reading before coffee. Very dangerous! The technique was tricky, and imperfect, but it looks great as a Monet and gave me great practice.

Next month, I will be having a quilt-a-thon to turn my finished tops into bona fide quilts, and practicing my FMQ on my mini Triumph Star quilt.

Stash
I have a sad situation with my stash: it doesn't fit on my shelves. I've been working to whittle it down, but it is not going so well. I had an inkling to go into Goodwill one day this month, and they had 30% off linens (that includes fabric!) It was too good of a deal to pass up, but it put me over the capacity edge. I'm not going to worry about this until after my quilt-a-thon, since I should be able to piece a bunch of backs and open up some shelf space.

Here's to lots of finished quilts in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment