Sunday, August 8, 2010

Half-Square Triangles

My half-square triangle (HST) setting triangles are looking good! I added the yellow sashing today to square up the fit. I love these colors for warming up a cool & cloudy Seattle August day. They are luscious!


I'm thinking about adding some scrappy borders next. I might finish it off with additional applique on the border.

Since I recently figured out how to square up HST blocks so the corners will match (so that's what the diagonal lines on my ruler are for!) and I have an HST quilt on my list- not my WIP list, nor my cut/ pulled list of projects to start after the WIPs are finished, but the list after that one- that will take a while to get to, I'm going to give myself a reminder for later, on how to make HST blocks.

1. Start by cutting squares that are 1" larger than your finished size. For instance, I wanted 3.5" squares, so I cut 4.5" squares.

2. Cut the square diagonally from corner to corner, yielding 2 triangles.

3. Sew 2 triangles together along the long side with a .25" seam allowance.

4. Press the seam to one side- it will look like this:



5. Line up the 45-degree line on the ruler along the seam, and leaving at least the width of your square under the ruler, and trim the first side.


6. Repeat on the opposite side, lining up the trimmed edge at the desired width.


7. Continue trimming the other 2 sides the same way, ending up with a nice square block that will line up nicely at the corners.


Now I'm off to piece some borders, I am hoping to finish them today!

No comments:

Post a Comment