Friday, July 30, 2010

Blue & Brown


Here's another baby brick quilt, inspired by the Kaffe Fassett quilt from Glorious Patchwork, this time for my cousin's first baby. I made another one of these last year for a friend's baby, and had lots of soft shirt fabric left. I usually dislike making the same quilt more than once, but I really enjoyed creating this simple pattern with a slightly different fabric selection. In addition to a warmer red check, I also added an Amy Butler stripe that wound up sitting next my stack of shirt fabrics and looking rather handsome with them. Serendipity being one of my favorite design partners, it stayed in the quilt and directed my attention to the brown as a perfect anchoring color. I quilted it in brown, mostly straight, lines along the seams, and added a few wavy lines, too, just for fun.

I wanted to add a personal touch, so I monogrammed their last name in the lower right corner. It was my first attempt transferring a computer font for embroidery and I love the result!

Going with the brown theme, I knew that I wanted solid brown for the backing, but I didn't have any in my stash. I ended up cheating on my fabric diet- I found a sheet on sale that was the perfect color, and used it for a self-binding, too. It was a far better deal than buying that much fabric by the yard! And I love looking at the tone-on-tone quilting on the back just as much as the front.

Now to wrap this baby up and mail it off to it's new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment