Monday, March 8, 2010

Adventures

I was supposed to buckle down and finish my bloated pile of quilt tops in my sewing room, but instead, I've been running around, having fun, getting inspired and starting new things- yes, life is good!


I had some pleasure of wandering into some local quilt shops this weekend that are off my beaten path... I was totally taken by the Island Quilter- just check out their wall of Kaffe! There were more bolts- maybe 20 or so- that didn't make it into the frame, too. I would love a quilt that looked just like this. It is amazing, and evidently the largest collection of his fabric on the West Coast. Paul, one of the owners, said Kaffe wants to come back to the shop for 4 days next time... sounds like the perfect excise for a quilt retreat!!!!

On the way home from the Vashon ferry, we stopped by the Pike Place Market and Undercover Quilts. What a beauty they had displayed in their window!


In the other window, they had these fantastic art quilts by Mary Downes that were quilted versions of nautical charts... here's the Vashon Island quilt, where we had just come from! I love the interpretation of maps into fabric, complete with quilted topographic lines!


And in my sewing room, I've been working on making house blocks for Victoria's House Block Gather... these ones turned out to be not quite the right size, so I whipped them into a little quilt top with a scrappy border. This is very different for me, but I like the way it's coming along! I have 4 more houses to mail off to V, too, along with some setting squares once I get those cut.


I'm liking adventure and the discoveries it leads me to... hope you are too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! now I'm feeling rather fabric deprived! It's so rare for us to have fabric shops like this in the UK, though I have made a stacked coins quilt with Kaffe that has a similar look to the wall of fabric. Wha a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the Island Quilter as a vendor at our quilt show last year. I have wanted to see her shop ever since. I have heard the selection is amazing. Looks like it is well worth the cost of the ferrie ride.

    ReplyDelete