Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gadget Love


I finally got a walking foot for my little Singer... I know, I have been quilting for 2 years without one, but I get a little stubborn when there is something I have to do or buy (I suppose that's my inner Groucho coming out!) Sewing is the one area in my life where I'd rather work hard than work smart, since I feel like it's part of the quilting tradition to make do or do without, but no more of that nonsense! My feet are out of the mud, and I am in love with my walking foot!

Quilting is so much faster and easier, and I have so many more options, like using the different stitches on my machine. I've gone from reluctant to finish my stack of quilt tops to feeling like I can't finish enough in a day. I love it when a tool really makes a positive difference in your life!

What other tools jazz your quilting?

I met a dear lady at JoAnn's last weekend who was looking at cutting mats, who was probably my mom's age or older. She has been hand cutting and hand sewing her whole life, but had lost her templates, and had I used a cutting mat? After we talked, she went home with the mat, rotary cutter and ruler! I think her new tools will totally revitalize & revolutionize her passion for quilting too!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what I would do without some of my quilting tools that I take for granted. So glad you got a walking foot for quilting. It is a must have and makes quilting look so much smoother and eliminate the puckering backing problem. I love my mat, rotary cutter, ruler combo. It is so fast. I think it would be hard for me to go back to cutting everything by hand like my mother and grandmother did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexis, Some of the best quilts I have ever seen have come about because the quilter just had to figure out how to use what they had. However, having a walking foot will make your sewing life much easier! Have fun sewing with your new foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!! My machine has a walking foot built in and I'm sure I couldn't live without one now. That's great that you allowed yourself to get one. It's okay to use the right tool for the job. Quilting is still a lot of work and creativity. :)

    I couldn't live without a mat & rotary cutter either. I've got several of each and I use them for a lot more than just quilting. I keep a rotary cutter that's just for paper. What a helper!

    ReplyDelete