Saturday, June 7, 2008

Yellow Frida

My 2 year old daughter likes to be different. Not content with the dominance of pink in our house, she declared her favorite color to be yellow. Accordingly, I started collecting yellow fabric to craft a special quilt for her.

This quilt became a lesson in not thinking too hard about design. I must have done half a dozen sketches for her quilt before deciding to cut into my yellow stash for a rail fence quilt along a few month backs. I added an off center star motif, because I like to be different, too.

I'd like to make this pattern again sometime, since I learned a lot about how the light and dark fabrics read. It would look great with a yellow star and a light and dark blue background!

The back of this quilt is this fabulous Alexander Henry print called "Frida's Garden." At about 20 months, my daughter recognized a framed Frida Kahlo print at a friend's house, so when I saw this fabric, I knew it was prefect for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment